If you live in a home or apartment in Charleston, South Carolina, here's a great hurricane awareness check list to look at.
Secure Your Home
- Put freestanding objects inside
- Plan for your pets. Make sure you have pet food, collar and leash and crates, if necessary
- Designate a safe room with no widows or exterior walls.
- Keep emergency phone numbers by the phone; include out-of-state contacts for family members.
- Assemble an emergency preparedness kit (enough supplies for three to five days) with bottled water (one gallon per person per day), battery-operated radio or TV with extra batteries, first aid kit, flashlight and packaged snacks. Remember to include baby supplies and food, manual can opener, hand sanitizer or wipes, and extra house and car keys.
- Gather all necessary prescriptions and medical supplies to take at a moment's notice.
- Place all important documents -- including your insurance policies -- in a waterproof bag to take with you. Include documents like wills, deeds, birth and tax records, and marriage certificate, proof of residence, home photos, and driver's license and vehicle registration. Include house and car keys
- Take cash and change
- Listen to media broadcasts, especially paying attention to any calls for evacuation
- Call 311 (Emergency Evacuation Assistance) if a family member needs special care.
- Flood and windstorm insurance are not automatically covered by renters insurance.
- Take photos of your home before the storm.
- Take camera to take photos of damage.